– War Zone – These odd destroyer sized ships are built for stabilization, crisis management, conflict prevention, and international intervention operations.
Category Archives: GermanNavy
All of Germany’s submarines are currently down
– Defense News – The German Navy’s six-strong fleet of submarines is completely out of commission after the only operational sub had an accident off the coast of Norway on Sunday.
German Navy to receive five additional K130 corvettes
– Janes – Germany will buy an additional five K130 type corvettes in 2017 to offset delays to the MKS 180 Multi-Role Combat Ships (MRCSs) program.
The Baltic Sea and Current German Naval Strategy
– CIMSEC – With the deteriorating relations between the West and Russia in the wake of Crimea’s annexation and the hybrid war in Eastern Ukraine since early 2014, the Baltic Sea is suddenly thrust back into the spotlight of naval planners, policy analysts, and students of strategic geography alike. This article lays out some principles of looking at the Baltic Sea through the lens of the German Navy, which – while busy conducting a host of maritime security operations (MSO) in such far-flung places as the Horn of Africa, the coast of Lebanon, and the Central Mediterranean for more than two decades – finds itself returning conceptually to one of its home waters.
Bundeswehr night patrol for refugees on Mediterranean
– Deutsche Welle – The Bundeswehr’s Frankfurt am Main warship is patrolling the Mediterranean as part of the European Union’s Operation Sophia. It’s a round-the-clock job for the crew. DW’s Daniel Pelz followed the night watch.
German Navy – German Navy Completes K 130 Fleet
– Aviation Week – The German navy’s 1st Corvette Squadron received its fourth K 130 Braunschweig class corvette, the Erfurt, yesterday during a ceremony at Rostock-Warnemünde naval base on the Baltic Sea.
German Navy – Early Retirement For German Navy Patrol Boats And Minehunters
– Defense Technology International – The German navy has decided to retire early the Type 143A fast patrol boats (FPBs) Nerz and Dachs and the Type 333 minehunters Kulmbach and Laboe on 31 March 2012.
German Navy – Stranded Egyptians sail home on German warships
– Associated Press – After being robbed by Libyan soldiers and huddling in a transit camp on the Tunisian border for several days, some 400 laborers fleeing Libya found themselves on perhaps the strangest stretch of their odyssey – a ride home in three German warships.
German Navy – Anti-piracy Debut For Hamburg
– Defense Technology International – The Hamburg will be the first F124 Sachsen class frigate to participate in the EU Operation Atalanta anti-piracy mission.
German Navy – Harry S. Truman and Hessen
Defense Technology International – Harry S. Truman and Hessen
The frigate Hessen is the first German warship to participate in a US carrier battle group.
German Navy – Schleswig-Holstein Joins Operation Atalanta
Defense Technology International – Schleswig-Holstein Joins Operation Atalanta
The German navy’s frigate Schleswig-Holstein left the North Sea port of Wilhelmshaven yesterday to join the EU’s Operation Atalanta anti-piracy mission off the coast of Somalia. The warship will relieve the frigate Emden, which has been on deployment since January.
German Navy – What's German For "Avast, Lubberly Scum"?
Defense Technology International – What’s German For “Avast, Lubberly Scum”?
The German Ministry of Defense will make up to 1,400 military personnel available for the EU’s anti-piracy naval operation…The frigate that Germany plans to contribute to the mission only requires 500 men for alternating crews but it is also planned to place commandos on German-owned cargo ships.
German Navy – Littoral Stealthy Corvette
Defense Technology International – Today the German navy corvette Magdeburg will enter service in Warnemuende, base of the First Corvette Squadron. It will be the second corvette of five of the Braunschweig K130 class, the most modern ships in service with the German navy.
German Navy – Submerged IDAS Missile Firing is Milestone for Undersea Warfare
Defense Technology International – A German navy submarine has achieved a major milestone in undersea warfare by successfully test firing a fiber-optically-guided IDAS (Interactive Defense and Attack system for Submarines) missile from a submerged position yesterday.
German Navy – Germany Fields Braunschweig-Class
Defense Technology International – The Germany navy this week has formally put into service the K-130 Braunschweig corvette, the first of five boats in a new class.
German Navy – Ready for Service: New German Corvette
Defense Technology International – The German navy next month plans to formally put into service the K 130 corvette Braunschweig. It is the first in a five-ship class.
German Navy – Fast Responders
Defense Technology International – Germany is deploying two fast patrol boats to augment the U.N.ís naval force off Lebanon.
German Navy – Germany takes charge of patrols off Lebanon
Associated Press – A German frigate docked at Beirut on Sunday to take charge of the multinational naval force patrolling the Lebanese coastline to prevent arms shipments from reaching Hezbollah guerrillas.
German Navy – German navy gets new submarines
Xinhua – The German navy got on Wednesday two conventionally-powered submarines, which military officials say are the most modern such ships currently in service.