– Deutsche Welle – The Bundeswehr’s Frankfurt am Main warship is patrolling the Mediterranean as part of the European Union’s Operation Sophia. It’s a round-the-clock job for the crew. DW’s Daniel Pelz followed the night watch.
– Aviation Week – The German navy’s 1st Corvette Squadron received its fourth K 130 Braunschweig class corvette, the Erfurt, yesterday during a ceremony at Rostock-Warnemünde naval base on the Baltic Sea.
– Defense Technology International – The German navy has decided to retire early the Type 143A fast patrol boats (FPBs) Nerz and Dachs and the Type 333 minehunters Kulmbach and Laboe on 31 March 2012.
– Associated Press – After being robbed by Libyan soldiers and huddling in a transit camp on the Tunisian border for several days, some 400 laborers fleeing Libya found themselves on perhaps the strangest stretch of their odyssey – a ride home in three German warships.
– Defense Technology International – The Hamburg will be the first F124 Sachsen class frigate to participate in the EU Operation Atalanta anti-piracy mission.
Defense Technology International – Harry S. Truman and Hessen
The frigate Hessen is the first German warship to participate in a US carrier battle group.
Defense Technology International – Schleswig-Holstein Joins Operation Atalanta
The German navy’s frigate Schleswig-Holstein left the North Sea port of Wilhelmshaven yesterday to join the EU’s Operation Atalanta anti-piracy mission off the coast of Somalia. The warship will relieve the frigate Emden, which has been on deployment since January.
Defense Technology International – What’s German For “Avast, Lubberly Scum”?
The German Ministry of Defense will make up to 1,400 military personnel available for the EU’s anti-piracy naval operation…The frigate that Germany plans to contribute to the mission only requires 500 men for alternating crews but it is also planned to place commandos on German-owned cargo ships.
Defense Technology International – Today the German navy corvette Magdeburg will enter service in Warnemuende, base of the First Corvette Squadron. It will be the second corvette of five of the Braunschweig K130 class, the most modern ships in service with the German navy.
Defense Technology International – A German navy submarine has achieved a major milestone in undersea warfare by successfully test firing a fiber-optically-guided IDAS (Interactive Defense and Attack system for Submarines) missile from a submerged position yesterday.
Defense Technology International – The Germany navy this week has formally put into service the K-130 Braunschweig corvette, the first of five boats in a new class.
Defense Technology International – The German navy next month plans to formally put into service the K 130 corvette Braunschweig. It is the first in a five-ship class.
Defense Technology International – Germany is deploying two fast patrol boats to augment the U.N.ís naval force off Lebanon.
Associated Press – A German frigate docked at Beirut on Sunday to take charge of the multinational naval force patrolling the Lebanese coastline to prevent arms shipments from reaching Hezbollah guerrillas.
Xinhua – The German navy got on Wednesday two conventionally-powered submarines, which military officials say are the most modern such ships currently in service.