– CIMSEC – Russian appetite for serious mischief-making in the north is, thankfully, considered to be low. But it should prompt us to widen our peripheral vision – to the Mediterranean, the near east, the Indian Ocean, and the Pacific, where we do in fact see a lot more maritime activity.
– Defense News – The German government’s 2016 defense whitepaper picked up on the fragility and volatility of the political and security landscape around Europe shown in recent years and provided a new strategic outline for the German armed forces and the German Navy. Strategically we have to equally balance collective and national defense with the tasks of international crisis management.
– Defense News – Naval forces worldwide are pushing the idea of anti-torpedo torpedoes, with varying success, aiming to translate the promises of missile defense technology into undersea warfare.
– War Zone – Not much is known about the system, but it’s based on similar principals as finned systems commercial ships use to increase efficiency.
– Defense News – The German navy inaugurated its first-ever class of officers leading the multinational Baltic Maritime Component Command today, providing fresh evidence that military planners here take seriously the possibility of a military confrontation with Russia in Germany’s once-pacified back yard.
– National Interest – The German Navy’s current condition is a true “Schande;” an embarrassment for Europe’s wealthiest country.
– War Zone – The service can’t meet near-term NATO obligations and has no ships in reserve to rapidly support any extended naval operations in a crisis.
– War Zone – These odd destroyer sized ships are built for stabilization, crisis management, conflict prevention, and international intervention operations.
– Defense News – The German Navy’s six-strong fleet of submarines is completely out of commission after the only operational sub had an accident off the coast of Norway on Sunday.
– Janes – Germany will buy an additional five K130 type corvettes in 2017 to offset delays to the MKS 180 Multi-Role Combat Ships (MRCSs) program.
– CIMSEC – With the deteriorating relations between the West and Russia in the wake of Crimea’s annexation and the hybrid war in Eastern Ukraine since early 2014, the Baltic Sea is suddenly thrust back into the spotlight of naval planners, policy analysts, and students of strategic geography alike. This article lays out some principles of looking at the Baltic Sea through the lens of the German Navy, which – while busy conducting a host of maritime security operations (MSO) in such far-flung places as the Horn of Africa, the coast of Lebanon, and the Central Mediterranean for more than two decades – finds itself returning conceptually to one of its home waters.
– Deutsche Welle – The Bundeswehr’s Frankfurt am Main warship is patrolling the Mediterranean as part of the European Union’s Operation Sophia. It’s a round-the-clock job for the crew. DW’s Daniel Pelz followed the night watch.
– Aviation Week – The German navy’s 1st Corvette Squadron received its fourth K 130 Braunschweig class corvette, the Erfurt, yesterday during a ceremony at Rostock-Warnemünde naval base on the Baltic Sea.
– Defense Technology International – The German navy has decided to retire early the Type 143A fast patrol boats (FPBs) Nerz and Dachs and the Type 333 minehunters Kulmbach and Laboe on 31 March 2012.
– Associated Press – After being robbed by Libyan soldiers and huddling in a transit camp on the Tunisian border for several days, some 400 laborers fleeing Libya found themselves on perhaps the strangest stretch of their odyssey – a ride home in three German warships.
– Defense Technology International – The Hamburg will be the first F124 Sachsen class frigate to participate in the EU Operation Atalanta anti-piracy mission.
Defense Technology International – Harry S. Truman and Hessen
The frigate Hessen is the first German warship to participate in a US carrier battle group.
Defense Technology International – Schleswig-Holstein Joins Operation Atalanta
The German navy’s frigate Schleswig-Holstein left the North Sea port of Wilhelmshaven yesterday to join the EU’s Operation Atalanta anti-piracy mission off the coast of Somalia. The warship will relieve the frigate Emden, which has been on deployment since January.
Defense Technology International – What’s German For “Avast, Lubberly Scum”?
The German Ministry of Defense will make up to 1,400 military personnel available for the EU’s anti-piracy naval operation…The frigate that Germany plans to contribute to the mission only requires 500 men for alternating crews but it is also planned to place commandos on German-owned cargo ships.
Defense Technology International – Today the German navy corvette Magdeburg will enter service in Warnemuende, base of the First Corvette Squadron. It will be the second corvette of five of the Braunschweig K130 class, the most modern ships in service with the German navy.
Defense Technology International – A German navy submarine has achieved a major milestone in undersea warfare by successfully test firing a fiber-optically-guided IDAS (Interactive Defense and Attack system for Submarines) missile from a submerged position yesterday.
Defense Technology International – The Germany navy this week has formally put into service the K-130 Braunschweig corvette, the first of five boats in a new class.
Defense Technology International – The German navy next month plans to formally put into service the K 130 corvette Braunschweig. It is the first in a five-ship class.
Defense Technology International – Germany is deploying two fast patrol boats to augment the U.N.ís naval force off Lebanon.
Associated Press – A German frigate docked at Beirut on Sunday to take charge of the multinational naval force patrolling the Lebanese coastline to prevent arms shipments from reaching Hezbollah guerrillas.