Defense News – Even as Pakistan’s currency plunges and the country pursues a bailout package to avoid default, the country’s naval officials say its maritime modernization programs remain on track.
Category Archives: PakistaniNavy
China, Pakistan navies collaborate
China Daily – A joint maritime exercise of the Chinese and Pakistani militaries began at a Shanghai military port on Sunday, the Chinese navy announced in a statement, noting that the drill will “further strengthen both sides’ ability to jointly handle security threats at sea”.
Pakistan intercepts Indian Navy’s Kalvari-class submarine in its waters
NavalToday – Pakistan Navy has tracked and intercepted the Indian Navy’s Kalvari-class submarine.
(Thanks to Alain)
Algerian-Pakistan military cooperation: the frigate Almagir-260 anchors at the port of Algiers
La Patrie News – As part of military cooperation between Algeria and Pakistan, the frigate “Almagir-260” of the Pakistani fleet anchored yesterday at the port of Algiers.
(Thanks to Alain)
Pakistan receives new Chinese-made frigate. How will it fare against India’s Navy?
Defense News – Pakistan on Monday commissioned the first of four Type 054A/P frigates during a ceremony at the Hudong Zhonghua Shipbuilding yard in Shanghai, China.
Pakistan left with only two submarines on active duty
Times Now News – Pakistan Navy has only two submarines on active duty. Three of the five Agosta class submarines it has are either being upgraded or have defects.
(Thanks to Alain)
China, Pakistan strength naval collaboration with arms procurement: Pakistan Navy chief
Global Times – Naval collaboration between China and Pakistan is strengthening with a series of arms procurements, as Pakistan is acquiring Chinese-made frigates that will be one of the most technologically advanced platforms of the Pakistan Navy and submarines that would substantially add to the offensive capability of the Pakistan Navy
Pakistani Navy confirms Brazilian jetliner will replace Orion patrol aircraft
Defense News – Pakistan’s Navy has selected the Embraer Lineage 1000 jetliner to replace its P-3C Orion long-range maritime patrol aircraft.
Outgoing Pakistan Navy chief reveals details of modernization programs
Defense News – Pakistan’s Navy is racing to plug operational and technological gaps as part of an unprecedented modernization effort, according to the outgoing naval chief, but analysts are divided on whether the move will deter adversaries.
Pakistan’s New Type-039B AIP Submarines: Image Shows Shipyard Expansion
Naval News – The Pakistan Navy’s expansion is gearing up in Karachi. Major enhancements are evident at a shipyard, where a new construction hall and a dry dock greatly increase capacity. Although details are scarce, it seems likely that the local construction of Chinese-designed AIP (Air Independent Power) submarines will take place there.
Pakistan Navy Keeps Silent On Mystery Submarine But New Details Emerge
– Forbes – The Pakistani Navy has not yet officially acknowledged the submarine sitting on the quay outside its special forces headquarters. The submarine was first revealed on Forbes in April. Since then further satellite images have emerged. These provide additional clues about the unidentified boat.
(Thanks to Alain)
Pakistan Inducts Newest Warship, PNS Yarmook
– Naval News – On July 13 the Pakistani Navy held a ceremony in Karachi to mark the induction of its newest corvette, the PNS Yarmook.
Pakistan’s Mystery Submarine
– Indian Defence Review – An article that appeared last month in foreign media talked of a new mystery submarine in Pakistan which presumably meant for marines of the Special Services Group – SSG (N).
(Thanks to Alain)
Mystery Submarine In Service With Pakistan’s Navy SEALs
– Forbes – Some of the best-kept secrets are hidden in plain sight. Sitting on the quayside at PNS Iqbal, a special naval base in Karachi, Pakistan, is a submarine that you won’t find in any reference books, including my own World Submarines Covert Shores Recognition Guide. To my knowledge this will be the first article detailing this submarine, which appears to be in service with Pakistani Navy SEALs.
Pakistan and China launch joint naval drills. Should India be concerned?
– Defense News – A nine-day Sino-Pakistani naval exercise commenced in Pakistan’s port of Karachi on Monday with the arrival of a Chinese naval task group from its South Sea Fleet. Sea Guardians 2020 is the sixth in the bilateral series, which, according to the Pakistan Navy, will focus on “augmenting interoperability and strategic cooperation.”
Chinese ships and radar boost navies of Pakistan, Bangladesh and Sri Lanka
– South China Morning Post – China is reported to be boosting its arms links with South Asian nations, with further supply of an advanced anti-stealth radar to Pakistan as well as frigates to Pakistan, Bangladesh and Sri Lanka.
Pakistan wraps up multinational naval drill as its approach to maritime security shifts
– Defense News – Pakistan on Tuesday wrapped up its sixth AMAN biennial multinational naval exercise, aiming to promote cooperation among regional and extra-regional navies to ensure security in the Indian Ocean.
Pakistan launches naval exercise as it aims to counter India, protect economy
– Defense News – Pakistan’s Navy kicked off a major exercise Saturday as it tries to modernize and expand to counter growing Indian naval power, as well as protect its maritime economy and trade links.
Pakistan test-fires indigenous anti-ship missile
– Defense News – Pakistan has announced a successful test of its indigenous anti-ship missile, which appears to be a variant of the Babur land-attack cruise missile family.
The Pakistan Navy in 2016 and Beyond
– Quwa – Responsible for securing Pakistan’s coastlines and sea lanes, the Pakistan Navy had seen significant growth in terms of attention, and possibly momentum, in 2016. The principal driver of this attention has been the China-Pakistan Economic Corridor (CPEC), and, at its core, the Gwadar deep-sea port, which opened for operations this past November.
Pakistan’s Navy: A Quick Look
– CIMSEC – Traditionally the junior service, operating in the Army’s shadow and receiving a ten percent share of the 2015 defence budget of $6.6 billion, Pakistan’s Navy personnel numbers more than 22,000 active, plus 5,000 in the reserve. This secondary role stands in contrast with the economy’s dependence on the sea, with the port city of Karachi contributing 25 percent of GDP and the proposed China Pakistan Economic Corridor (CPEC) raising the country’s maritime profile even further.
Pakistani Naval Modernization Appears Stalled
– Defense News – Pakistan’s naval modernization program appears stalled, with no discernible progress being made on efforts to modernize and expand the surface and sub-surface fleet. This comes amid moves ensure the security of the deepwater port of Gwadar, and fears of mass obsolescence vis-a-vis arch rival India.
Jinnah Naval Base – Navy expands strategic outreach to West Coast, Persian Gulf
– Pakistan Today – While China and Pakistan endeavour to develop Gwadar Port as a commercial hub for the entire region, Pakistan Navy is gearing up to new face challenges and threats which might come its way after the port become functional; the navy has fully operationalised its strategic Jinnah Naval Base near Gwadar Port at Ormara, Balochistan.-
Pakistani Navy – PNS Alamgir to participate in joint naval exercise in Turkey
– Express Tribune – Pakistan Navy Ship Alamgir (FFG-260) will participate in the Mavi Balina-14 joint naval exercise in Turkey from November 6-15.
Pakistani Navy – Al Qaeda’s Worrying Ability to Infiltrate the Pakistani Military
– The Diplomat – Al Qaeda’s recent attempt to steal a Pakistani frigate is a reminder of the Pakistani military’s infiltration.
You must be logged in to post a comment.