The Guardian – Years ago, Fuga Island was set to host a Chinese ‘smart city’. Now it may become home to American troops as the US seeks to protect Taiwan and the region.
Category Archives: PhillipineNavy
US, Philippine marines team up to bolster littoral warfare skills
Defense News – The Philippine Marine Corps is growing its territorial defense capability, after spending more than 50 years focused on domestic counterinsurgency operations. The service is now tasked with fending off Chinese aggression at sea and fishing fleet incursions into Philippine territorial waters.
Philippines coast guard chief says boosts South China Sea presence
Reuters – The Philippine Coast Guard has stepped up its presence in the disputed South China Sea by deploying additional vessels and conducting more sorties and overflights to protect maritime territory and the country’s fishermen, its chief said on Monday.
Chinese coast guard seizes rocket debris from Filipino navy
AP – A Philippine military commander says the Chinese coast guard has forcibly seized apparent Chinese rocket debris that was being towed by the Philippine navy, in the latest confrontation in the disputed South China Sea.
Interview With The Chief Of The Philippine Navy
Naval News – Exclusive interview with Vice Admiral Adeluis S. Bordado, Flag Officer in-Command of the Philippine Navy, during his visit to France in January 2022.
Philippine Navy Procures BrahMos Anti-Ship Missile System
Naval News – On January 12, the Philippine Department of National Defense issued a notice of award indicating the government’s approval to procure the BrahMos shore-based anti-ship missile system from India.
Philippine Marines’ New Operating Concept Highlights Their Growing National Security Role
The Diplomat – A preview of how the Philippine Marine Corps will operate in the current and future security environment.
Philippines redeploys boats to shoal after Chinese blockade
Associated Press – The Philippine military defiantly redeployed two supply boats on Monday to provide food to Filipino marines guarding a disputed shoal in the South China Sea after the Chinese coast guard used water cannons to forcibly turn the boats away in an assault last week that drew angry condemnation and warnings from Manila.
PN prefers US Cyclone patrol boats over Hamilton-class cutter
Philippine News Agency – The Philippine Navy (PN) would rather acquire the newly-decommissioned Cyclone-class patrol vessels than obtain another Hamilton-class cutter from the United States, its chief said Monday.
The Philippines Expanding South China Sea Patrols Near Disputed Reef
USNI News – The Philippines has sent additional ships on Tuesday to its maritime territory that is subject to China’s expansive claims in the South China Sea.
Persistent Chinese Maritime Militia Presence off Philippines Raises Concerns in Manila
USNI News – Chinese maritime militia vessels remained berthed at the Whitsun Reef, which is located within the Philippines’ exclusive economic zone, lending credence to what Philippine Defense Secretary Delfin Lorenzana described as China’s plot to permanently occupy the feature.
Philippine fighter aircraft’s flybys over Chinese fishing boats in South China Sea ‘risky’
Global Times – The daily flybys by Philippine fighter aircraft over Chinese fishing boats taking shelter from the weather near a Chinese reef in the South China Sea are inappropriate, and might inflame tensions and risk accidents, Chinese experts said on Sunday.
Philippines And India Sign Deal Paving The Way For BrahMos Missile Procurement
Naval News – On March 2, 2021, the Philippines and India signed a government-to-government agreement on defense equipment procurement, paving the way for the sale of the Brahmos missile to the Philippines.
Philippine Navy Welcomes New Frigate As It Reaches Home Waters
Naval News – The Philippine Navy welcomed the future BRP Antonio Luna (FF151), its second missile-capable frigate.
Philippine Navy Takes Delivery Of Eight ScanEagle UAV
Naval News – The Philippine Navy today took delivery of a ScanEagle Unmanned Aerial System (UAS) from the United State at the US Embassy in Manila. According to local media the UAS consists of eight Unmanned Aircraft Vehicles.
Philippines Freezes Pull-Out From Visiting U.S. Forces Agreement
– USNI News – The Philippine government is putting the brakes on its plan to end a critical aspect of its Mutual Defense Treaty with the U.S., but experts say it is too soon to tell whether this decision signals a warming relationship between the two allies.
Future Philippine Navy Frigate BRP ‘Jose Rizal’ Sails Home For Commissioning
– Naval News – The Philippine Navy’s first-ever guided-missile frigate, BRP Jose Rizal (FF-150), set sails from the Hyundai Heavy Industries (HHI) shipyard in South Korea today, to join her homeland for the first time.
MHI To Build 2 Multi-Role Response Vessels For The Philippine Coast Guard
– Naval News – The Philippines Department of Transportation signed a procurement contract with Japan’s Mitsubishi Heavy Industries for two 94-meter Multi-Role Response Vessels (MRRVs) for the Philippine Coast Guard.
Philippine minister takes to Twitter to order diplomatic protest over Chinese ships
– South China Morning Post – Beijing is stepping up its activities in the disputed South China Sea amid a swell of patriotic pride sparked by National Day celebrations, and it wants the world to see.
Philippines Pushing Back Against Chinese Militia South China Sea Presence
– USNI News – The Philippines have begun to push back against the strong and sustained presence of Beijing’s paramilitary ships in the South China Sea, calling the deployment of Chinese militia ships in huge numbers a threat.
The Deadly Evolution of Abu Sayyaf and the Sea
– CIMSEC – Illicit maritime activities are at the root of Abu Sayyaf Group funding and operations, and ensuring the group’s defeat will require focused government efforts to improve maritime security in its area of operations.
Time to Make Good on the U.S. – Philippine Alliance
– War on the Rocks – A storm is brewing in America’s oldest security alliance in the Indo-Pacific and the administration needs to act quickly to head it off.
Duterte and generals split on China rapprochement
– Nikkei Asian Review – High stakes internal battle under way over direction of Philippine foreign policy.
South China Sea: Duterte orders Philippines military to occupy islands
– CNN – Philippines President Rodrigo Duterte said Thursday he has ordered military personnel to occupy all Philippines-claimed islands in the disputed South China Sea.
Wary of China, Duterte tells navy to build ‘structures’ east of Philippines
– Reuters – Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte has ordered the navy to put up “structures” to assert sovereignty over a stretch of water east of the country, where Manila has reported a Chinese survey ship was casing the area last year.
You must be logged in to post a comment.