– War Zone – The Royal Navy is planning on using these missiles as air-launched weapons against small boats, too, and has tested them in the surface-to-air role.
– BBC – The UK has brought forward plans to send a second warship to the Gulf amid rising tensions with Iran.
– BBC – Iranian boats tried to impede a British oil tanker near the Gulf – before being driven off by a Royal Navy ship.
– War Zone – Last week, Iran said it could seize a British ship in retaliation for U.K. authorities seizing an Iranian tanker in the Mediterranean Sea.
– USNI News – The U.K. and its partners are testing out a first-responder force that could beat NATO to the punch if a crisis were to occur in Northern European waters.
– War Zone – This non-acoustic sensor could supplement the boat’s sonar when hunting for especially quiet enemy submarines.
– Military.com – A Marine Corps F-35B Joint Strike Fighter squadron will make history by deploying aboard the British Royal Navy’s newest aircraft carrier — the first deployment of its kind and one that could serve as a model for the new normal.
– Defense News – When British Defence Secretary Gavin Williamson announced in February that his ministry would create two “littoral strike groups,” some naval experts turned their heads in confusion.
– Forces Network – This could mark a radical new stage in the evolution of underwater warfare.
– RAF CASPS – The importance of maritime air operations and the characteristics desired in a maritime patrol aircraft.
– USNI News – One of three British Bay-class landing ships has spent nearly two years in the Western Atlantic and the Caribbean Sea, both looking after British interests as well as finding ways to partner with the U.S. Navy.
– USNI News – Britain’s Ministry of Defence is exploring options for the development of an Extra Large Unmanned Underwater Vehicle (XLUUV) to conduct covert missions at distances of up to ranges 3,000 nautical miles for three months at a time for the Royal Navy.
– Navy Times – A British amphibious warship embarked with U.S. Navy sailors is slated to operate out of this Virginia port for what officials term a two-week “experiment” to test new mine warfare techniques.
– War Zone – They are a low-cost addition to ships’ layered defenses used to counter anti-ship missiles and the Royal Navy want to invest in improved models.
– BBC – The UK should end its control of the Chagos Islands in the Indian Ocean (and Diego Garcia) “as rapidly as possible”, the UN’s highest court has said.
– Forces Network – Littoral strike ships are able to command an assault force, rather than simply transporting it.
– War Zone – The United Kingdom says new forward-deployed task forces will use to ships to ‘make Global Britain a reality.’
– RUSI – A British naval presence in the South China Sea strengthens global security and Britain’s global role. But it must be matched with a more systematic approach to the region, and to China’s defiance of legal norms.
– The Hill – Great Britain is returning to seaways “east of Suez,” decades after freeing its colonies and withdrawing, more or less, to the Mediterranean Sea and Atlantic Ocean. A warship from Britain’s Royal Navy demonstrated on behalf of nautical freedom in the South China Sea last September, drawing a stern rebuke from China. This month the frigate HMS Argyll joined the destroyer USS McCampbell for six days’ worth of exercises in the South China Sea.
– Navy Times – U.S. and British navy ships conducted joint maneuvers in the South China this month in what they called a sign of their shared emphasis on regional peace and stability.
– BBC – A Royal Navy warship which has been sent to Ukraine will send a strong message to Russian President Vladimir Putin, the UK’s defence secretary says.
– Sky News – Sources tell Sky News that senior RAF officers are pushing for a version of a supersonic warplane that can only fly from land.
– Defense News – Britain is beefing up its commitment to defense of the Arctic and the High North regions.
– Breaking Defense – For the first time, a Royal Navy pilot has taken off and landed an F-35B on a British aircraft carrier, eight years after the UK retired its last generation of aircraft carriers.
– Guardian – China Daily decries ‘reckless actions’ after HMS Albion sails close to disputed Parcel islands.