– BBC – The Swedish navy has stepped up its search in the waters off Stockholm amid suspicions that a Russian submarine might be in trouble there.
Category Archives: SwedishNavy
Swedish Navy – Sweden Claims 3 Credible Sightings In Submarine Hunt
– AP – The Swedish military said Sunday it had made three credible sightings of foreign undersea activity in its waters during the past few days amid reports of a suspected Russian intrusion in the area.
Swedish Navy – Russia denies submarine incident off Sweden
– BBC – The Russian defence ministry has denied reports that one of its submarines got into trouble in the waters off Sweden.
Swedish Navy – Sweden steps up hunt for ‘foreign underwater activity’
– ITV – Sweden has boosted its military presence in the Stockholm archipelago to search for “foreign underwater activity” in the county’s largest mobilisation of troops and ships since the end of the Cold War. Is a Russian submarine in trouble in Swedish waters?
Swedish Navy – Tomorrow’s Stealthy Subs Could Sink America’s Navy
– Aviation Week – The U.S. military is relying on sub-hunting tech that’s decades old. Meanwhile, the targets they’re trying to find are getting quieter and more invisible by the day.
Swedish Navy – New Submarines Improve Performance
– Defense Technology International – The original stealth weapons, submarines may be second only to unmanned systems in the degree to which they have exploited new technology in the past two decades. Major advances have included air-independent propulsion (AIP) systems, increasing submerged endurance and mobility; automation, reducing crew size (and consequently, life-cycle costs) and improving habitability; electro-optical masts that can sweep the horizon with high-definition in seconds and drop out of sight; and new torpedoes and other weapons. On the near horizon is the the mating of SSKs with unmanned air and underwater vehicles (UUV).
Swedish Navy – Saunas, massages help Swedish sailors hunt pirates
Associated Press – Saunas, massages help Swedish sailors hunt pirates
Pirate-hunting has come a long way since the Knights of Malta battled the Barbary Corsairs four centuries ago. Floggings, weevils and scurvy are out. Saunas, fresh bread and massages are in — at least aboard the Swedish warship Carlskrona, the flagship of the European Union’s force to hunt down Somali pirates, who have hijacked 23 ships this year.
Swedish Navy – Sweden Builds World's First Stealth Ships
Wired – Sweden Builds World’s First Stealth Ships
The country that gave us Volvos, Saabs and ABBA has developed what it claims is the world’s first fully operational stealth ship that is essentially invisible to radar.
Swedish Navy – Sweden's Next Spy Ship
Defense Technology International – Sweden is going ahead with a plan to replace its current signal intelligence (Sigint) vessel, the 1,400-ton HMS Orion (A 201) built in the 1980s, with the much larger, 3,600-ton HMS Carlskrona (M 04) that is to be converted from its current role as a training ship to a Sigint platform.
Swedish Navy – Navy to hone hunting skills on Swedish sub
Virginian Pilot – The US Navy has formally agreed to lease a Swedish submarine and its crew for a year so U.S. nuclear-powered subs, as well as other ships and planes, can practice hunting it.