UPI – By establishing a naval force in the Red Sea, Egypt aims for more than protecting navigation in the Suez Canal, a vital waterway for international trade, military experts said. “The force will be the backbone of Egypt’s new Red Sea strategy,” former Assistant Defense Minister Hossam Suweilam said. “There is a marked surge of unrest in the southern entrance to the Red Sea, which needs an aggressive policy.”
– Daily News Egypt – The Mistral-class Landing Helicopter Dock (LHD) warship Gamal Abdel Nasser, which Egypt purchased from France, arrived Thursday in Alexandria after a 14-days journey.
– BBC – Egypt has agreed to buy two Mistral warships originally built for Russia, the French presidency has announced.
– War is Boring – Egypt’s military junta is going on a shopping spree for weapons. Remember those French amphibious assault ships originally intended for Russia that are now sitting out to dry? Cairo’s generals have their eyes on them, too.
– BBC – Islamic State-affiliated militants in Sinai say they have carried out a missile attack on an Egyptian naval vessel in the Mediterranean Sea.
– USNI News – Eight Egyptian sailors are missing after a Wednesday clash with four vessels that could have been supplying arms to Islamist terror groups in the Sinai Peninsula.
– BBC – Egyptian officials say they have foiled an attack on a container ship which was aimed at disrupting shipping in the busy Suez Canal.