– USNI News – Performing touch-and-go’s, catapult launches and arrested landings, French naval aviators are now qualifying aboard USS George H.W. Bush (CVN-77) and speeding up the timeline for their carrier to be combat ready.
– USNI News – Since carrier flight skills atrophy over time, French naval aviators are spending two months training with US Navy air wings so they’ll be ready for missions this summer when their carrier FS Charles de Gaulle (R91) finishes repairs after almost two years in the yard.
– Defense News – Japan is offering its Kawasaki P-1 maritime patrol aircraft for a Franco-German requirement for a new aircraft. The move is part of the island nation’s efforts to secure its first major arms sale since a self-imposed ban on arms exports following World War II was lifted four years ago.
– Defense News – When a French multimission frigate failed to fire its salvo of three naval cruise missiles during last weekend’s joint airstrike on Syria, the military drew on a backup plan. The frigate’s sister ship, the Languedoc, instead launched its naval cruise missiles at the three Syrian targets.
– USNI Proceedings – From counterdrug and minesweeping operations to launching Rafale fighters from the carrier Charles de Gaulle in support of the fight against ISIL, the French Navy responds to the defense needs of the French people.
– USNI News – France is sending 350 sailors and naval aviators to deploy with a U.S. Navy aircraft carrier this spring as their nuclear-powered carrier finishes scheduled maintenance
– Reuters – As tension spikes on the Korean peninsula, a French amphibious assault carrier sailed into Japan’s naval base of Sasebo on Saturday ahead of drills that risk upsetting China.
– CIMSEC – In Europe, France is distinctive in claiming that its boundaries actually extend outside Europe into the Indian Ocean and Pacific Ocean, i.e. the ‘Indo-Pacific,’ through its overseas departments (département d’outre-mer), and overseas territories (territoire d’outre-mer), which are considered integral parts of France, and indeed thereby of the European Union. These Indo-Pacific possessions also have large Exclusive Economic Zones (EEZs). These give France important maritime interests to be maintained, and if need be defended, by the French Navy.
– USNI News – Naval leaders from the U.K., France and the U.S. have signed a trilateral cooperation agreement that will allow the three navies to work more closely together – especially in the realms of submarine warfare and carrier operations.
– Reuters – In a display of military power aimed at China, France will dispatch one of its powerful Mistral amphibious carriers to lead drills on and around Tinian island in the western Pacific, with Japanese and U.S. personnel and two troop-carrying helicopters sent by Britain.
– UPI – The French aircraft carrier Charles de Gaulle is in drydock in the port of Toulon for an 18-month refit and upgrade. The carrier has been in service for 15 years and the French Navy said the midlife work will extend her operational life for at least 20 more years.
– Janes – The concept design for the new Frégate de Taille Intermédiaire (FTI) for the French Navy was unveiled by the French defence minister Jean-Yves Le Drian on 18 October.
– The Australian – It seems that the story behind this leak may be more incompetence than espionage. The data was removed from DCNS in Paris in 2011 by a former French Navy officer who quit the service in the early 1970s and worked for French defence companies for more than 30 years before becoming a subcontractor to DCNS.
– The Australian – The French company that won the bid to design Australia’s new $50 billion submarine fleet has suffered a massive leak of secret documents, raising fears about the future security of top-secret data on the navy’s future fleet.
– China Topix – Warships of the French Navy (the “Marine nationale”) are expected to begin patrols of the disputed South China Sea, perhaps by as early as this year, as the government of President François Hollande seeks to enforce its defense of the rules based international order.
– USNI Blog – Those familiar with the Nimitz class might be surprised how at home they would feel aboard the French carrier. Although somewhat smaller than USS Harry S. Truman, also currently in route to the Mediterranean, the bones of the French carrier show a common pedigree: the way the flight deck control is arranged, the quality of the maintenance, the arresting gear and catapults which are fully compatible with US aircraft and even the jersey colors on the flight deck.
– BBC – France has launched its first missions against Islamic State (IS) militants from its Charles de Gaulle aircraft carrier.
– BBC – France is sending its largest warship, the Charles de Gaulle, to join operations again Islamic State (IS) in Syria and Iraq.
– USNI News – French carrier Charles de Gaulle (R91) has left the Persian Gulf after about two months of strike operations against Islamic State in Iraq and Syria (ISIS or ISIL) militants.
– USNI News – French nuclear aircraft carrier Charles de Gaulle (R91) has entered the Persian Gulf and could soon start strike missions against Islamic State in Iraq and Syria (ISIS or ISIL) fighters.
– USNI News – The French aircraft carrier Charles de Gaulle (R91) will shortly leave for the Indian Ocean for exercises and to potentially join the air war against the Islamic State in Iraq and Syria (ISIS).
– USNI News – A U.S. guided missile destroyer and a French signals intelligence ship have left Black Sea.
– USNI News – A French frigate entered the Black Sea on Wednesday, growing the number of NATO surface warships in the region to three.
– War is Boring – The French spy ship Dupuy de Lome is in the Black Sea. Which also happens to be an excellent location for snooping on Russian military communications.
– Navy Recognition – The French Navy announced its carrier battle group (CVBG) just deployed for Operation “Bois Belleau”. The group is centered on the French Nuclear-Powered Aircraft Carrier Charles de Gaulle (R91). Its escort is consists in the Horizon class AAW Destroyer Forbin (D620), the Georges Leygues class anti-submarine Frigate Jean de Vienne (D643), the Durance class replenishment oiler Meuse (A607) and Rubis class SSN (nuclear-powered attack submarine)