Naval News – Six new attack submarines will form the vanguard of the French Navy for the coming decades. Developed as the Barracuda program, the lead boat of the new class, Suffren, is expected to formally join the fleet next year. The new submarines will offer a massive capability leap over the current Rubis-class boats.
Naval News – Lighting is said to be the cause of the fire that broke out aboard French Navy Rubis-Class nuclear-powered attack submarine (SSN) ‘Perle’ in June, according to the new French Navy’s Chief of Staff, Admiral Pierre Vandier. A decision on the fate of the SSN will be made in October, pending the results of the ongoing investigation.
– Naval News – The French Navy D’Entrecasteaux-class multi-purpose vessel “Champlain” has been deployed to assist with pollution control efforts in Mauritius linked with the ongoing oil spill of MV Wakashio.
– Naval News – In the coming days, French President Macron is expected to give the “go ahead” to the French Navy’s new generation aircraft carrier (PANG) program. Here is what we know so far.
– Defense.Info – A new-generation aircraft carrier to succeed the Charles de Gaulle flagship would cost at least €5 billion ($5.6 billion), with a larger price tag if France opted for nuclear propulsion over a conventional engine room, a June 24 French senate report said.
– BBC – The defence ministry said France had suspended its role in Operation Sea Guardian, accusing Turkey of violating an arms embargo against Libya.
– Naval News – The French Navy (Marine Nationale) Mistral-class LHD “Tonnerre” has sailed from Toulon to take part in operation Corymbe in the Gulf of Guinea.
– Naval News – France is joining the European Union’s EUNAVFOR MED IRINI operation in the Mediterranean Sea.
– Naval News – The third Atlantique 2 (ATL2) maritime patrol aircraft (MPA) upgraded by Dassault Aviation, Thales and Naval Group was delivered by DGA to the French Navy at the Lann-Bihoué naval air base.
– Naval News – The French Navy (Marine Nationale) fourth and final d’Entrecasteaux-class vessel, “Dumont d’Urville”, entered “active duty” on April 17, 2020.
– Naval News – The French Navy aircraft carrier and flag ship Charles de Gaulle is heading home early following suspicion of several Covid-19 cases among its crew members.
– Naval News – French President Emmanuel Macron announced yesterday that French Navy Mistral-class LHDs Mistral and Dixmude will be deployed to Reunion Island and the Caribbean in support of the Coronavirus relief efforts. These new deployments will take place as part of the new operation “Résilience”.
– Naval News – The French Navy is about to deploy its Mistral-class LHD “Tonnerre” to the Island of Corsica in a mission to evacuate several Coronavirus / COVID19 patients towards mainland France.
– Naval News – On the night of February 8, the US Navy Arleigh Burke-class destroyer USS Ross (DDG 71) joined the French Navy (Marine Nationale) Carrier Strike Group, also known as Task Force 473, currently deployed as part of the “Foch” mission.
– Naval News – The European-led mission in the Strait of Hormuz (EMASOH) is now operational, the French Ministry of Armed Forces stated yesterday. The EMASOH headquarters, composed of Belgian, Danish, Dutch and French officers, is based at the French naval base in Abu Dhabi.
– Naval News – The French Ministry of Armed Forces on January 17 confirmed an order for six new offshore patrol vessels (Patrouilleur d’Outre-Mer – POM) for the French Navy (Marine Nationale).
– Naval News – The French Navy (Marine Nationale) Carrier Strike Group set sail yesterday for a long operational deployment named “Foch”. Aircraft Carrier Charles de Gaulle and its escort set course to the Eastern Mediterranean before sailing for the Northern Atlantic area.
– Naval News – The French Navy (Marine Nationale) fourth and final Loire-class vessel, “Garonne”, entered “active duty”.
– Defense News – France has ordered six 70-meter-long (230-feet-long) offshore patrol vessels from Socarenam, a shipyard in Boulogne-sur-Mer on the country’s northern coast, to patrol its vast economic exclusive zone.
– National Interest – On July 12, 2019, French president Emmanuel Macron celebrated the imminent launch of France’s first new nuclear-powered submarine in over a decade—the Barracuda-class vessel Suffren.
– Defense News – French shipbuilder Naval Group on Friday launched the Suffren nuclear-powered attack submarine here under the gaze of President Emmanuel Macron.
– USNI News – A French task group on deployment with 130 officer cadets teamed up with U.S. Marines from the 26th Marine Expeditionary Unit in Camp Lejeune for a few days of at-sea amphibious operations in North Carolina.
– Defense News – France’s armed forces minister has pledged the country will remain committed to the Pacific region, as she warned of a “global confrontation” emerging there.
– USNI Proceedings – The French nuclear-powered aircraft carrier Charles de Gaulle returns to service this spring after a major midlife refit that has upgraded its capabilities and interoperability.
– National Interest – A bad performance in Syria was just the start.