Naval News – The French Navy Carrier Strike Group will soon be back at sea to support France’s fight against Daesh in Iraq and Syria.
Defense News – Swedish vendor Saab has received a contract to deliver underwater vehicles for blowing up sea mines to an Anglo-French program.
RUSI – Before the end of 2020, and just as the Charles de Gaulle aircraft carrier had passed its mid-life, the French president, Emmanuel Macron, decided that the only non-American nuclear-powered aircraft carrier in the world in service will have a successor, expected to be commissioned in 2038.
Naval News – The French Navy Atlantique 2 (ATL2) “Standard 6” maritime has reached initial operational capacity.
Naval News – French Navy Rubis-class nuclear powered submarine (SSN) “Emeraude” continues its long duration deployment in the Pacific region: It recently trained with the JMSDF and U.S. Navy in the Philippine Sea.
Naval News – On Novembre 19, 2020, the French Minister of the Armed Forces confirmed a contract notification to Dassault Aviation for twelve “Albatros” Maritime Surveillance and Intervention Aircraft (AVSIMAR). Based on the Falcon 2000LXS, the Albatros is set to replace previous generations of maritime surveillance aircraft in service with the French Navy and on the export market. Arriving after 2025, it is likely to operate alongside next generation maritime UAVs.
Reuters – Japan, France, and the United States will hold joint military drills on land and sea for the first time in May next year as the Chinese military steps up activity in the region.
Naval News – The Chief of Staff of the French Navy Admiral Vandier met with his Japanese counterpart Admiral Hiroshi Yamamura in Tokyo yesterday. Meanwhile, the Rubis-class nuclear-powered attack submarine Emeraude made a rare port of call in Guam. The two events are connected and fit right in line with France’ strategy in the Indo-Pacific region.
French Navy – On November 19, 2020, during a visit to the Dassault Aviation plant in Seclin, in northern France, the French Minister of the Armed Forces, Florence Parly announced the upcoming notification of the contract for the “Albatros” Maritime Surveillance and Intervention Aircraft (AVSIMAR) program, which will be based on the Dassault Aviation Falcon 2000LXS.
Defense News – Fresh off a pair of frigate and submarine cruise missile tests, the French Navy is readying for high-intensity conflict by adapting its exercises and training programs.
Naval News – The French Navy announced that it has deployed a Surface Action Group to the Eastern Mediterranean in order to strengthen its presence in the area.
Defense News – France is to entirely overhaul its mine countermeasures systems, armed forces minister Florence Parly has confirmed, replacing all current equipment ranging from the Éridan class of mine-hunting ships to sonars by 2029.
Naval News – An official announcement on the French Navy’s new generation aircraft carrier (PANG) program is expected to be made “soon” by French President Emmanuel Macron, probably by year-end.
Naval News – French Armed Forces Minister Florence Parly has declared that the Rubis-class SSN ‘Perle’ could be repaired and will be repaired.
Naval News – Naval Group unveils an evolution of its previous “concept submarine”, the SMX31E. This ambitious design merges all the new technologies that Naval Group is exploring. If such an innovative design won’t be operational before the 2040s (if ever), some of the proposed systems and technologies will likely be ready for operations in the following years or decades.
Naval News – Six new attack submarines will form the vanguard of the French Navy for the coming decades. Developed as the Barracuda program, the lead boat of the new class, Suffren, is expected to formally join the fleet next year. The new submarines will offer a massive capability leap over the current Rubis-class boats.
Naval News – Lighting is said to be the cause of the fire that broke out aboard French Navy Rubis-Class nuclear-powered attack submarine (SSN) ‘Perle’ in June, according to the new French Navy’s Chief of Staff, Admiral Pierre Vandier. A decision on the fate of the SSN will be made in October, pending the results of the ongoing investigation.
– Naval News – The French Navy D’Entrecasteaux-class multi-purpose vessel “Champlain” has been deployed to assist with pollution control efforts in Mauritius linked with the ongoing oil spill of MV Wakashio.
– Naval News – In the coming days, French President Macron is expected to give the “go ahead” to the French Navy’s new generation aircraft carrier (PANG) program. Here is what we know so far.
– Defense.Info – A new-generation aircraft carrier to succeed the Charles de Gaulle flagship would cost at least €5 billion ($5.6 billion), with a larger price tag if France opted for nuclear propulsion over a conventional engine room, a June 24 French senate report said.
– BBC – The defence ministry said France had suspended its role in Operation Sea Guardian, accusing Turkey of violating an arms embargo against Libya.
– Naval News – The French Navy (Marine Nationale) Mistral-class LHD “Tonnerre” has sailed from Toulon to take part in operation Corymbe in the Gulf of Guinea.
– Naval News – France is joining the European Union’s EUNAVFOR MED IRINI operation in the Mediterranean Sea.
– Naval News – The third Atlantique 2 (ATL2) maritime patrol aircraft (MPA) upgraded by Dassault Aviation, Thales and Naval Group was delivered by DGA to the French Navy at the Lann-Bihoué naval air base.
– Naval News – The French Navy (Marine Nationale) fourth and final d’Entrecasteaux-class vessel, “Dumont d’Urville”, entered “active duty” on April 17, 2020.