Naval News – New Zealand’s second P-8A Poseidon arrived home on March 20th. Meanwhile the New Zealand Ministry of Defence confirmed MK 54 Torpedoes are included in the P-8A Poseidon purchase.
Category Archives: RoyalNewZealandNavy
How the New Zealand Navy plans to fix its sailor and ship shortfalls
Defense News – A third of Royal New Zealand Navy ships are docked due to a shortage of sailors, causing a loss of “significant flexibility.”
A third of New Zealand’s Navy ships are docked over lack of crew
Defense News – Three of the Royal New Zealand Navy’s nine ships are now docked at the Devonport naval base indefinitely, due to insufficient personnel.
New Zealand, Australian Navies Deploy for Tongan Disaster Relief
USNI News – Australia and New Zealand have deployed ships and aircraft for humanitarian aid and disaster relief efforts following the eruption of the Hunga Tonga-Hunga Ha’apai underwater volcano on Saturday.
Water under the Bridge?—The Revival of New Zealand-United States Maritime Cooperation
US Naval War College Review – The ongoing effective revival of ANZUS relations is vital to allowing the New Zealand Defence Force to fulfill the ever-increasing range of tasks expected of it. Impending capability-replacement decisions provide an opportunity to increase the capacity of the NZDF to operate with the United States in an environment that makes maritime cooperation especially important.
The large landing ship “Pyotr Morgunov” entered the Russian Navy
BMPD – On December 23, 2020, in Kaliningrad, a ceremony was held to raise the Navy flag on the second large landing ship of project 11711 Pyotr Morgunov (serial number 0302). The ship was accepted into the Russian Navy.
(Thanks to Alain)
Royal New Zealand Navy Commissions HMNZS Aotearoa Polar-Class Support Vessel
– Naval News – The Royal New Zealand Navy commissioned the HMNZS Aotearoa, the service’s new fleet tanker and sustainment vessel.
New Zealand to buy Boeing P-8 patrol planes to boost South Pacific surveillance
– Reuters – New Zealand has agreed to buy four Boeing P-8A Poseidon maritime patrol planes, Defence Minister Ron Mark said on Monday, strengthening surveillance capabilities as it works to counter the rise of new powers, such as China.
New Zealand navy paid $700,000 to firm mired in ‘Fat Leonard’ sex and bribery scandal
– The Guardian – The Royal New Zealand Navy paid hundreds of thousands of dollars over four years to a ship services company run by a man now imprisoned in the US for an enormous corruption and sex scandal.
Coming Full Circle: The Renaissance of Anzac Amphibiosity
– US Naval War College Review – While the Australian Defense Force and New Zealand Defense Force maintain a relatively high level of interoperability, further enhancements in the area of amphibious capability could be achieved through greater integration, specifically through emulating the model adopted by the United Kingdom / Netherlands Amphibious Force (UKNLAF).
New Zealand earthquake: Warships head to Kaikoura
– BBC – Australian, Canadian and US warships are helping with evacuations and supplying aid to the New Zealand town of Kaikoura after a series of tremors.
New Zealand Navy Chief: U.S. Nuclear Ship Issue ‘Behind Us’, Hopes for Regular USN Port Visits
– USNI News – After more than 30 years, an American warship will pull into a New Zealand port in November and could mark the start of regular port visits for the U.S. Navy
Royal New Zealand Navy – Protector Fleet Comes Together
Defense Technology International – The New Zealand navy has just launched the third of four Inshore Patrol Vessels (IPVs), the Pukaki, marking another step in the countryís plan to field seven Protector fleet ships before year end.
Royal New Zealand Navy – New Zealand Shows Off its New Multi-Role Vessel
Defense Technology International – HMNZS Canterbury (L 421), the Royal New Zealand Navy’s brand-new multi-role vessel (MRV) amphibious transport ship, is on its first major multinational exercise.