BMPD – On September 7, 2021, the Spanish Shipbuilding Association Navantia announced the beginning of factory sea trials of the head Avante 2200 corvette Al Jubail for the Saudi Navy, built at its plant in San Fernando, Cadiz. (In Russian)
(Thanks to Alain)
AP – A remotely piloted boat packed with explosives targeted the Saudi port of Yanbu in the Red Sea on Tuesday, the kingdom said, with the blast sending black smoke into the sky off the coast.
War Zone – The attack has the hallmarks of past operations by Iranian backed Yemeni-rebels and follows weeks of similar incidents in the region.
– Naval News – The Royal Saudi Navy officially inducted a first batch of two HSI Interceptor fast patrol crafts
– Defense News – The Navy announced Friday that Lockheed Martin was awarded a $1.96 billion contract to build four multi-mission surface combatants for Saudi Arabia. The ships, which are slated to be built at Fincantieri’s Marinette Marine shipyard in Wisconsin, are derived from the Freedom-class Littoral Combat Ship design.
– Reuters – The Saudi navy seized a boat carrying weapons as it approached the kingdom’s offshore Marjan oilfield in the Gulf on Friday evening.
– The Drive – Riyadh’s naval forces increasingly need new and better warships to counter Iran and project power throughout the region.
– Defense News – The Houthi boat that attacked and hit a Saudi frigate Jan. 30 in the Red Sea, reported earlier as a suicide boat, was instead carried out by an unmanned, remote-controlled craft filled with explosives.
BBC – The Saudi-led coalition battling Yemen’s Houthi rebels says two crew members have been killed in an attack on one of its warships in the Red Sea.
– USNI News – Four Lockheed Martin Freedom-class ship variants are set to form the backbone of the Royal Saudi Navy’s Eastern Fleet.
– The Guardian – Aid agencies say embargo imposed by US and UK-backed Arab coalition has had dramatic effect, with almost 80% of population in urgent need of food, water and medical supplies.
Daily Telegraph – Naval battle between UAE and Saudi Arabia raises fears for Gulf security
A naval clash in the Gulf has reignited fears over the security of the world’s most important shipping lanes and disputed oilfields.
Associated Press – Saudi navy blockades north Yemen coast
A Saudi Arabian government adviser says the kingdom has imposed a naval blockade on northern Yemen’s Red Sea coast to try to prevent weapons and fighters flowing to Shiite rebels in the area.